skip to content

Research Operations Office


Published on Fri, 17/09/2021 - 11:05

Researchers who receive US federal funding for a research project are reminded that if you need to travel by plane, flights must be booked using an American flag carrier, or a flag carrier from a country with an Open Skies Agreement with the US. (There are some circumstances where this may not be possible and you should refer to the exceptions listed on the website).

The EU had an Open Skies Agreement in place, but since the UK is no longer part of the EU, the website has been updated with the following:

Note: As of January 1, 2021, The United Kingdom (U.K.) is no longer a member of the EU. Consequently, the Open Skies Agreement with the EU does not pertain to the U.K. Travelers must use a U.S. Flag Carrier to travel from the U.S. to the U.K. and not a U.K. airline (e.g., British Airways), unless they use a different Fly America Act exception. Travelers may continue to use an EU agreement for travel from the U.S. to the U.K. as long as the flight stops in the EU prior to arrival in the U.S. or the U.K.

If you have any questions, please contact